Banana Nut Protein Oatmeal
As a Fitness Nutrition Specialist, I am constantly talking with clients about the little changes that they can make in on a daily basis that will result in big-time transformation in the long run.
There are a few things that I avidly support from day 1 of any plan with any client.
Two of those things are:
- Eating a healthy breakfast.
- Consuming an adequate amount of protein.
Banana Nut Protein-Packed Oatmeal helps you to accomplish both at the same time.
Oats actually contain a small amount of protein, about 6 grams per cooked cup, on it’s own. But that’s not where their super nutrient power comes from.
Have you ever seen what a half cup of dry oats turns in to once cooked? It’s huge! I’ve had clients ask me how they are supposed to finish it all – not something they expected to ask about a meal on a diet! Portion sizes are enormous in comparison to calories (hello, nutrient-density!), and oatmeal keeps you full and your blood sugar stable (bye-bye, energy crashes) for hours after you eat it.
When I tell people, clients and friends both, that I make my oatmeal with egg whites, I usually get that “ew” face. I get it. I made the same face until I tried it myself. Adding egg whites to oats actually makes them creamier!
The great thing about this recipe is you can really alter it to suit your mood!
- Feel like indulging? Try chocolate protein powder and raspberries.
- Want something that is comforting and cozy? Cinnamon or vanilla protein powder with canned pumpkin and cinnamon.
The options are truly endless and no matter what, you start your day on a winning note.
- 1/2 cup Dry Oats
- 1 cup Water
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/4 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1/4 cup Egg Whites
- 1/2 Banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Walnuts, crushed
- In a medium sauce pot, combine oats, water and a pinch of salt. Slowly heat over medium-high heat to bring the water to a simmer.
- Cook 3-4 minutes, until most of the water is absorbed. Add protein powder and egg whites. Stir constantly so the egg doesn't cook separately from the oats!
- Cook until oats are fully cooked. *Add more water if necessary.
- Top with sliced banana and walnuts.